The information technology sector is rapidly growing and changing. Cloud computing has been more widely adopted, virtualisation is increasing and service oriented architecture (SOA) is becoming more common.
In this fast-paced and competitive field, developers are being pressed to cut operational costs; comply with new regulatory burdens and reduce the time to market. All of this adds to the complexity of development projects and makes it more important than ever to have a comprehensive and effective software testing plan in place.
Many companies are turning to a software testing consultancy for help. In fact, a research report by Nelson Hall reveals that the market for independent software testing services is expected to grow by around 9.5 percent every year until 2018. A software testing consultancy can put new testing protocols in place; take advantage of changes in testing technologies and techniques; and help developers to ensure they are offering end users the products and features they need.
Software Testing Trends
The growth of software testing consultancy services is not the only trend in the field of software testing. Slashdot also highlighted other important trends to be aware of including the following:
- The development of a more service driven test management process. Software testing is increasingly becoming a joint-effort that involves different departments and different levels within an organization. Instead of a separate testing division, testing can occur on an ongoing basis by developers as time-consuming manual testing is phased out in favor of automated testing.
- Growth in Social Media, Localisation and mobility. More mobile and social users are driving an increased need for specialised software testing as software is now integrated into virtually all aspects of life. More and more sensitive data is being transferred and exchanged and it is more important than ever to ensure that the software works effectively and seamlessly to protect user information and provide desired features across multiple devices.
- The increased use of an agile development environment. Companies need to incorporate continuous testing and will need to modify their software testing protocols in response to increased pressure to reach the delivery phase quickly. Testing in production can also make it possible for software testers to provide constant feedback on the features and functionality of software so potential problems are identified sooner and so developers can ensure that they are on track to deliver the updates that users expect.
- The growth of mobile testing. The number of mobile devices on the market continues to expand and the mobile software market continues to grow. Mobile software must work under different settings and complex scripting techniques and tools are typically used to ensure that the software delivers the desired user experience. Efficiency and performance are paramount, and accurate testing will help to ensure that appropriate testing protocols are in place for mobile programs.
- Cloud-based testing. Cloud computing is becoming more mainstream and as many as 26 percent of software applications may be hosted on the cloud by 2015. Cloud infrastructure can offer a flexible testing environment at a lower cost and with less maintenance.
These are just some of recent trends to emerge in the software testing industry. e-testing can help to ensure your company has the testing protocols needed to keep pace within a rapidly evolving technical field. Find out more about our software testing consultancy services.