Traditionally, software testing has often required costly infrastructure and dedicated information technology resources that were used occasionally. As business applications become more complex, support more users on a wider variety of devices, it is increasingly difficult to maintain effective in-house testing facilities.
Cloud-based testing makes it possible to collaborate more effectively, to test across multiple platforms with less hardware, and to spend less on testing efforts, both long and short term. This is especially useful when performance testing, as well as compatibility testing over mobile devices and different platforms / browser combinations.
There are numerous advantages associated with cloud based testing:
- Cloud based support for emulated mobile devices / browsers. Using cloud based providers it is now very easy to run automated and manual tests against a wide range of devices. Regression tests can be run against emulated hardware and thus it is possible to attain complete test coverage over the entire range of target hardware in a cost effective way.
- Testing over physical mobile devices is possible. Rather than keeping and maintaining an up-to-date set of mobile devices for testing, it is possible to run both manual and automated tests on physical devices via the cloud, which are checked out for the duration of the tests. Flexible plans are available from third party providers to match the needs of most organisations.
- More support is available for complex applications. In-house testing environments are not always able to keep pace with advanced application developments. Today, applications are more component-based, dynamic and distributed. Cloud computing is better able to handle the complexities of modern software applications.
- Real-time visibility of testing is possible for project teams. When a cloud-based performance test is running, teams are able to analyse the application performance while it is running, via screen sharing technology. This allows all members of the project team to collaborate in real time on a performance test, often including software suppliers – so that problems can be identified and rapidly resolved. In addition, cloud based test management and defect tracking tools allow project team members in disparate locations to collaborate and share information on tests, defects and their status as the project develops, which is much better suited to today’s distributed team structures, often supported by external organisations for both development and testing.
- Scalable simulation of virtual users is possible at significantly lower cost. Traditionally the generation of load to simulate virtual users on web applications used to make up a large part of the cost of a performance test, plus setting up the infrastructure to carry out large scale tests was directly proportional to how many users needed to be simulated. This made large scale performance tests costly, lengthy to set-up / run and limited by the hardware available to drive the tests. Additionally, the licensing costs for tool rental needed to be agreed up front, either rental of the tool or outright purchase, which added to the cost. Using a cloud based approach to performance testing, the hardware is all in the cloud, using existing infrastructure from the likes of AWS, Rackspace etc. With this approach, servers can be spun up to simulate thousands of virtual users in minutes, with the charges based on a pay for what you use model. Licenses are now much more flexible for performance testing tools, with the rise of open source tools allowing even greater savings for comparable quality, when combined with a cloud based load provider.
- Cloud based testing provides cost savings. Traditional testing requires a new environment for each project and approximately 50 to 70 percent of the technological infrastructure that is earmarked for testing is underutilised. Cloud based testing performed by a software testing consultancy eliminates the need for unnecessary testing infrastructure.
These are just some of the significant advantages associated with cloud based software testing. Contact e-testing to find out more about our cloud based testing solutions, encompassing performance testing, mobile device / browser compatibility testing and the provision of full virtual test environments via cloud based infrastructure.